Dairy-Free Green Bean Casserole– delicious creamy dairy-free green bean casserole.
This is a great holiday side dish recipe. Tender delicious casserole with a creamy sauce, with added onions, red and green peppers. This recipe is dairy-free and made without milk.
I love making this green bean casserole for dinner or especially for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. It’s a simple quick recipe that you can get to the dinner table quickly.
This side dish tastes perfect with turkey and mashed potatoes. I always make this casserole for one of my side dishes. I like that it is easy to make and uses simple ingredients. It’s very versatile so it is easy to change things up a little bit and it still tastes great.
Let’s get started making this recipe.
Dairy-free green bean casserole ingredients:
Green Beans: I used canned green beans for this recipe. You can substitute for frozen or fresh green beans if you prefer.
Coconut Milk: I find that coconut milk makes this recipe very tasty. Feel free to substitute for almond or oat.
Red Pepper: love to use red pepper to add some color.
Green Pepper: adds a crunchy texture to this recipe.
Onion: tastes great.
Garlic Powder: small amount added.
Minced Garlic: adds a great garlic flavor to this recipe.
Salt: only a small amount is needed.
Montreal Steak Seasoning: also adds a great flavor.
How do you make green bean casserole from scratch
Gather all ingredients needed.
Cut onions, red and green peppers into small pieces.
Heat a frying pan on medium heat.
Add onions, red and green peppers. Cook for 5 minutes. Then set aside.
Open can of coconut milk and pour into a large bowl.
Add salt, garlic powder, minced garlic, and montreal steak seasoning. Stir around well.
Open cans of green beans and pour them into your bowl mixture. Stir around.
Preheat oven to 350.
Pour your bowl mixture into a baking pan.
Add in onion, red and green peppers. Stir around.
Bake for 15 minutes. Then broil for 5 minutes.
Can I use frozen green beans?
I used 2 cans of low sodium green beans for this recipe. You can use frozen or fresh green beans if you prefer. If you are going to use frozen or fresh green beans thaw and then saute in a frying pan before baking.
Do I have to bake it?
I prefer to bake but you don’t have to. You could heat your green beans with your onion, red and green peppers. Then in a large pot heat your coconut milk sauce and then pour on top.
Can I make ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. If you can, I would leave out the sauce until you are ready to bake.
How long does green bean casserole last?
If stored properly it should last 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
How many cans equal 4 cups of green beans?
It comes to about 2 cans.
What to serve with green bean casserole?
There are many things that go with this recipe. Some ideas are:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Mac and Cheese
Try some of these zucchini recipes for dinner.
- I like to use canned green beans. I find they work perfectly for this recipe and they are very tender.
- You can substitute for fresh or frozen green beans.
- If you are using frozen green beans thaw and then cook in a frying pan before baking. Do the same for fresh green beans.
- I used coconut milk in this recipe you could substitute for another non-dairy alternative. (almond, oat)
- If you don’t like garlic you can omit from the recipe.
- I baked this recipe but if you prefer you could make this recipe on the stove top.
- Keep an eye on your broil time so the top does not burn.
Dairy-Free Green Bean Casserole
- 2 Cans Low Sodium Green Beans
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Red Peppers
- 1/4 cup Green Pepper
- 1 Small Onion
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Cut onions, red and green peppers into small pieces.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add onions, red and green peppers. Cook for 5 minutes. Then set aside.
- Open can of coconut milk and pour into a large bowl.
- Add salt, garlic powder, minced garlic, and montreal steak seasoning. Stir around well.
- Open cans of green beans and pour them into your bowl mixture. Stir around.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pour your bowl mixture into a baking pan.
- Add in onion, red and green peppers. Stir around.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then broil for 5 minutes.