Pork tenderloin is a long lean tender piece of meat. It is a great meat choice to serve at gatherings. How much pork tenderloin should you plan on serving?
How much pork tenderloin do you need per person?
You will need to have at least 1/3 pound of pork tenderloin per person. If you are looking to have leftovers you could increase to 1/2 pound per person.
You also have to keep in mind who your guests are. If you are going to have a lot of kids versus adults then they usually eat less, so you could go with 1/3 instead of 1/2.
Think about the menu you will be serving. Do you have a lot of side dishes? This will influence your portion sizes. If you are serving a lot of filling sides then you can plan to serve less of the pork tenderloin. The same is true if you will be offering other meat dishes at the same time.
What is the size of pork tenderloin?
Most pork tenderloins weigh about 1 pound.
Does pork tenderloin shrink when cooked?
Most meats will shrink about 25 percent when cooked.
How long does it normally take to cook pork tenderloin?
Preheat the oven to 350 and bake the pork tenderloin for 20-25 minutes. This is based on a 1 pound pork tenderloin.
How can you tell if pork tenderloin is done?
The best way to tell if pork tenderloin is done is to use a meat thermometer. The USDA recommends cooking tenderloin to an internal temperature of 145 F.
It is better to cook pork tenderloin covered or uncovered?
Cook pork tenderloin uncovered until you reach an internal temperature of 145 F.
How to keep pork tenderloin from drying out?
In a baking dish place the pork loin with the fat side up when baking. This will ensure that the pork tenderloin does not become dry. You will also want to avoid overcooking.
Is pork tenderloin supposed to be pink?
Since you are cooking to a temperature of 145 F, your pork will be slightly pink inside. Your meat will be juicy and tender. You can cook to the temperature range of 145 F to 160 F.
Ways to Cook Pork Tenderloin
Cook in The Oven
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- If you have time you can brine the pork with salt, water, and seasonings for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- If not then you can just season with your favorite seasonings.
- Cook uncovered in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until your thermometer reaches 145 F.
- Let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- Season with a pork rub.
- Cook on the grill for about 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 F.
- Slice the pork tenderloin into smaller pieces.
- Prepare all your stir fry ingredients you will be using.
- Heat a pan or wok and cook the pork for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Add your vegetables and the sauce.
Plan on serving at least 1/3 pound of pork tenderloin per person. You could increase that to 1/2 pound per person depending upon your guest list and menu options.