Cabbage Cucumber Salad– simple delicious creamy light cabbage cucumber salad.
My grandma used to make this salad when I was growing up. She loved to garden and was always planting cucumbers and cabbage.
This is one of my go-to salads when I am looking for a quick and simple salad to make. It is a great side dish for your summer bbq or a quick salad for lunch or dinner.
You only need a few ingredients and a short amount of time to make this tasty creamy salad. Enjoy right away or make ahead and eat later.
Let’s get started.
What are the ingredients for cabbage cucumber salad
Cabbage: I used 1/2 package of 10 oz angel hair coleslaw(green cabbage). You can also use a small green cabbage and slice it thinly.
Cucumbers: you can peel the cucumbers or choose to leave the skin on.
Sour Cream: gives the salad a tasty creamy texture.
Vinegar: goes great with the cucumbers.
Sugar: adds just the right amount of sweetness.
Salt: only need a little bit of salt for this recipe.
Minced Garlic: ties everything together with a tinge of garlic flavor.
Wash your cucumbers.
Cut cucumbers into small pieces.
In a large bowl add 1/2 package of the green cabbage.
Add cucumbers to the bowl.
Mix cabbage and cucumbers.
In another bowl add sour cream.
Then add salt, sugar, vinegar, and minced garlic.
Add your mixture to the cabbage and cucumbers and mix around.
Enjoy now or cover and let it chill and eat later.
Should I peel the cucumber skin?
The skin on cucumbers is okay to eat. It’s up to your preference if you want to leave the skin on or not. For this recipe, I left the skin on.
Can you make it in advance?
Yes, you can make it in advance. I would store the cabbage and cucumbers separately. When you are ready to serve then I would add the dressing.
Try these side dish recipes.
How long does the salad last?
If stored properly it should last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Tips for making the salad
- You can substitute the sour cream for Greek yogurt.
- Feel free to add onions if you prefer.
- If you don’t like garlic you can omit from the recipe.
- You can peel the skin or leave it on. I prefer to leave the skin on just wash the cucumber well.
- If you are going to make ahead store the cabbage and cucumbers separately. When you are ready to eat the salad then add the dressing.
- Feel free to add extra salt or sugar depending on your taste.
- I used a prepackaged green cabbage coleslaw to make prepping faster.
- Sprinkle cilantro or dill on top.
Additional things you can add to the salad
You can also add the following to the salad:
Here are some additional recipes you might like to try:
20 Easy Zucchini Recipes For Dinner
Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
20 Best Grill Foil Packet Recipes
Cabbage Cucumber Salad
- 1/2 Package (10 oz) Angel Hair Coleslaw(Green Cabbage)
- 2 Small Cucumbers
- 2 Teaspoons White Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- Wash your cucumbers.
- Cut cucumbers into small pieces.
- In a large bowl add 1/2 package of the green cabbage.
- Add cucumbers to the bowl.
- Mix cabbage and cucumbers.
- In another bowl add sour cream.
- Then add salt, sugar, vinegar and minced garlic.
- Add your mixture to the cabbage and cucumbers and mix around.
- Enjoy now or cover and let it chill and eat later.